From tomorrow, London will be in Tier 4 restrictions, similar to those during the last national lockdown in November. Sadly, this means we cannot continue with Christmas as planned.
These stronger restrictions are needed because the virus is now spreading rapidly. The rates in London are very worrying. The number of people in Southwark with COVID-19 doubled last week, and London has seen a sharp increase in hospital admissions.
The Tier 4 rules will apply from tomorrow, Sunday 20 December. They mean:
- We should all stay at home
- You cannot meet people socially indoors, unless you live with them, or they are part of your existing support bubble
- Outdoors, you can only meet one person from another household
- Non-essential shops will be closed
- We should all work from home if you can
- You should not travel outside of London to visit family or friends
- All of these rules apply over Christmas, the previous Christmas bubble arrangements are no longer allowed
You can read the full rules here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home#stay-at-home
I know how upsetting this news is for many people and I am so sorry for all of you who had planned to see relatives or friends over Christmas, but I cannot stress enough how important it is that we follow these rules.
As well as abiding by the new rules, please continue to wash your hands, wear a face mask (unless exempt), and keep your distance when outside. 1 in 3 people who have coronavirus have no symptoms and will be spreading it without realising it. So it is very important that we all remember Hands, Face, Space.
Earlier this year we all worked together to stay at home, support the NHS and save lives. We now need to do that again.
Please look out for elderly or vulnerable residents and let us know if they need help. And if you need help, please do get in touch visit: www.southwark.gov.uk/health-and-wellbeing/coronavirus email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0207 525 5000 and choose option 3.
Thank you for following the rules and helping to keep yourself, your friends and family, and Southwark safe this Christmas.
Cllr Kieron Williams
Leader of Southwark Council